Way, way back, when I initially began delving into the foodie-side of the blogging world I posted on Spittoon (this being pre-Spittoon Extra days) an entry to one of the many blog-events that were running at the time. A simple dessert recipe involving almonds and cream, for Sugar High Friday. The photos, looking back, are absolutely atrocious. As Jeanne said the other day when we were comparing old photos with new “We’ve come a long way, baby!”.
This is an updated post with new photos (still not really ‘professional’ enough but a vast improvement over the originals) for Honeyed Cream with Almond Truiles. Sadly the retailers where I purchased all the local ingredients originally – Buckinghamshire Honey, locally produced double cream and an artisanal raspberry coulis – no longer exist. A lot has happened since 2005 both in terms of my photographic ability, changes to the food blogging world, my prowess in the kitchen (he says!) and the food retailing world in general! (The original photos for this post are still on flickr – oh the shame!)
Honeyed Cream with Almond Truiles
A fancy, but easy to prepare dessert. A delicious combination of tart fruit, rich cream and crunchy almond base.
- 150g slivered almonds
- 150g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 1 egg separated and 1-2 egg whites
- 40g unsalted butter melted
- 284ml double cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Raspberry Coulis
- Preheat oven to 180C. Mix almonds, sugar and flour. Add egg yolk, stirring it in, then 2 of the egg whites to form a stiff batter. If too thick add the remaining egg white a little at a time. Stir in the melted butter.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the mix on to a baking tray covered with baking parchment. Spread out into 10cm circle using a fork dipped in cold water. Bake for 5 – 10 minutes until edges of biscuits have turned brown.
- Immediately lift the biscuits off the tray and drape over a rolling pin or upturned tumblers to produce cups. The biscuits will harden almost at once into curved tuiles. Continue baking and shaping the biscuits until the mixture is all used up.
- For the topping whip the cream until stiff and stir in honey to taste. Layer onto the almond biscuits and serve with raspberry coulis drizzled over.
Copyright Andrew Barrow from SpittoonExtra
© 2004-2013 Andrew Barrow All Rights Reserved