Can’t recall the last time I ate pineapple; never cook with it really. Coconut too is never on the shopping list, although I did use coconut milk for an Indonesian dish (that I recall was rather tasty!). But that is the point of me participating in Waiter, to push my culinary-world out from the risotto/roast chicken cul-de-sac and explore… This edition of Waiter has Pineapple as the theme.
Honey Roasted Pineapple with Coconut Yogurt
Who could resist the wonders aromas and flavours of roasted pineapple cooled with a coconut flavoured yoghurt
- 6 slices of pineapple
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- warmed honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- handful of roasted nuts, pistachios recommended but I used hazelnuts
- Coconut Yoghurt
- 45g desiccated coconut toasted in the oven
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Pineapple
- Place pineapple in a single layer in a shallow dish. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into honey and add the bean and cinnamon stick – I used thick honey so melted it gently until runny. Pour hiney mixture over pineapple and roast at 180C for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Allow to cool. Flavours are hugly improved if left in the fridge overnight.
For the Coconut Yoghurt
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate covered until required.
- Serve the pineapple slices with a spoonful or two of the yoghurt and a handful of roasted nuts.
Copyright Andrew Barrow from SpittoonExtra