April 23, 2008
Dessert of the Week – Ginger Cheesecake
« Scotch Woodcock and Asparagus on Toast :Previous Entry / Next Entry: Vanilla Pain Perdu with Fruit Compote »
Eventually it has to happen; you reach the very last slice. A dessert will not last long but the joy of imminent, wicked, satisfaction is edged with disappointment as the last, luscious, mouthful is eaten. Time then to make something else!
My local semi-deli (I use the word as the range is limited) has a prominent display of the Just Biscuits range. I am most taken with the hand-made Ginger Shorties and have long harboured a desire to use them as a cheesecake base. I’m having a ‘thing’ with ginger at the moment…
A superb cheesecake recipe, flavours of ginger abound!
- 2 packs Just Biscuits Ginger Shorties
- large knob of unsalted butter
- preserved ginger in syrup
- 250g Mascarpone
- 250g full-fat soft cheese
- 284ml double cream
- chopped walnuts to decorate
- Crush biscuits and mix with melted butter. Spread over the bottom of your chosen dish to form the cheesecake base. Chill.
- Mix the cream cheese, cream and Mascarpone. Add as much ginger, chopped small, as you desire (I used 5 or was it 6 large pieces). Add half a jar of the ginger syrup. Mix and spread over the biscuit base. Chill for several hours. Top with chopped walnuts. Serve large slices. Wonder, with incredulous amazement, at expanding waist line.
Copyright Andrew Barrow from SpittoonExtra