Across the road another retiree has jammed her garden with all manner of plants. She went through a whole range of interesting sounding tomato varieties with me earlier in the year just after the seeds went into pots. I’ve been promised some of these too. Last year an Uncle Bens sauce jar was left out for me – contents? homemade blackcurrant jam. Delicious on toast.
I thought I should replicate their generosity and kindness with a little gift of my own. So I baked two of these Blackcurrant and Almond cakes using the homemade blackcurrant jam. I just hope they like almonds…
Blackcurrant and Almond Cake Recipe
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 175g softened butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 150g Blackcurrant Jam
- 25g flaked almonds
- Oven to 160C. Butter and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchement.
- Mix the flour and ground almonds together along with the butter, sugar, eggs and milk. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Spoon half the mixture into the lined tin. Spoon over the jam and top with the remaining cake mix. Scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for a little over an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with cream or crème fraiche.
- A few drops of almond essence or vanilla extract could be added to the ingredients while mixing.