The Blackcurrant and Almond Cake recipe is from the little free paper that Waitrose pushes out each week (wish they would bring back the full TV listing pages!); a simple but tasty ‘Sunday Afternoon’ cake recipe. I have to admit using the articles photograph as inspiration – should have cleaned that old Ebay-purchase dknife better though; food stylist I aint! It was a day of baking actually, witness the cheese and bacon muffins used in the background. The Hovis bread tin wasn’t actually used in the making of this cake. It is another EBay purchase, but a bit too grubby to use in ‘real life’. The size is the same as the plain and dull one used.
Blackcurrant and Almond Cake
A light tea-time cake made a little more indulgent when served with cream.
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 175g softened butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 150g Blackcurrant Jam
- 25g flaked almonds
- Oven to 160C. Butter and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchement.
- Mix the flour and ground alomds together along with the butter, sugar, eggs and milk. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Spoon half the mixture into the lined tin. Spoon over the jam and top with the remaining cake mix. Scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for a little over an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with cream or creme fraiche.
A few drops of almond essence or vanilla extract could be added to the mix before baking.
Copyright Andrew Barrow from SpittoonExtra