Odd looking Rocket you may think; and well spotted if you did for the green bits are actually pea shoots. A substitution but one that worked perfectly. This simple recipe is lifted from Reuben Cooks, the cookbook from celebrated South Africa chef Reuben Riffel
Being privileged to eat in his Franschhoek restaurant, Reuben’s, a couple of weeks ago we also managed to acquire a copy of his cookbook, where many of the dishes we consumed were featured.
The mix of recipes draw on his English training, his Cape Malay background and the various influences on South African cuisine in general – so mixed in with the onion and blue cheese tart or Baby chicken with Rosemary and Lemon you will find such delights as Steamed mussels with banana, orange, flat-leaf parsley and orange and olive oil sauce, Springbok Tataki and Tandoori Yellowtail with Spinach and Cumin Dhal, Cucumber Relish and Lemon Froth. Each recipe is completed by a wine recommendation; a South African wine obviously (Wine Match for this salad: Iona Sauvignon Blanc).
Avocado Salad With Toasted Pine Nuts, Rocket, Parmesan and Balsamic Syrup
A fresh salad from South African Reuben Cooks: Food Is Time Travel
- 1 good sized avocado
- 100g baby rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons balsamic syrup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese shavings to garnish
- Salt and Black pepper
- Cut the avocado in two and peel the skin off. Slice thinly and arrange on two plates. Scatter over the leaves and pine nuts. Dress with the balsamic and olive oil and top with the Parmesan and plenty of seasoning.
Copyright Andrew Barrow from SpittoonExtra
© 2004-2013 Andrew Barrow All Rights Reserved